Friday, April 25, 2014


1980-81 Selhurst Park. Shortly after John Bond's arrival as City manager. Things are taking off and City take all the points in a thriller at Palace. Here Ray Ranson beats Hinshelwood for pace down the right.
By the end of the season, Bond has taken City to Wembley to face Spurs in the Centenary Cup Final. The Palace game comes with days to go before the final. One of the big questions is who gets the starting place upfront alongside Kevin Reeves: Dave Bennett or Dennis Tueart?. Bennett's goal here gives him the edge for Tottenham.
the next time the clubs meet both are in the Second Division. The opening game of the season for 1983-84 sees them meet at Selhurst Park. Billy McNeill's cut-price side wins 2-0 in the sunshine. Here Asa Hartford, one of several to stay on and help the club battle back to the top flight, (Asa would manage 7 games that season before moving on to Norwich) flies in with an optimistic challenge.
By the winter City are getting bogged down in a four horse race with Newcastle, Chelsea and Sheffield Wednesday. This 3-1 win comes courtesy of the jet heels of Steve Kinsey (at back of photo) and goals from midfielders Paul Power, Graeme Baker and one from Kinsey himself
1984-85: Having failed to gain promotion, City start a second season down in the dumps. This early season game at Maine Road again features the speed on the counter of young Kinsey, who scores one and sets one up for Gordon Smith.     
1991-2. Fast starting City are on their way to the top of the First Division table after three wins from their first three fixtures. In a topsy turvy game David White grabs the winner after two Mark Brennan penalties keep City in the running for full points. As White wheels away in typical fashion, the Kippax heaves into life behind him. 
By 1996-7 both sides are back in the second tier. Little do City fans realise but Nicky Summerbee and his team mates are about to introduce us to the third level of English pro football. 
In the same game, Georgi Kinkladze plays through the Palace defence in inimitable style. The game ends in an inglorious 1-1 draw, with even City's goal scored by Palace man David Tuttle.
Richard Jobson is mobbed by happy team mates after scoring a surprisingly refined goal at Maine Road in the September 1999 game. City win 2-1 with a second from Gareth Taylor on their way to back to back promotions to the Premier League.
Jamie Pollock battles with Clinton Morrison in the return game at Selhurst in 99-00, drawn 1-1 by City thanks to an eye watering flying header from Bob Taylor that sees City close in on their promotion target.
December 2001: After one season apart, the sides are once again facing each other in the second tier, Palace winning this December clash 2-1 despite little Ali Benarbia's midfield magic and an opportunistic goal from Shaun Goater.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Tedious Stuff

Poets and Lyricists